Inclusion and SEND

Barnsley’s local offer

All pupils learn at different rates and there are many factors that influence achievement and attainment. Many pupils, at some time in their school career, may experience difficulties which pose barriers to learning and these may be long or short term. Not all pupils with disabilities have special educational needs and not all pupils with SEN meet the definition of disability; the policy covers all of these pupils.

Inclusion at Goldthorpe Primary School aims to reduce educational failure and maximise potential for all children by supporting children’s holistic development and helping to remove barriers to achievement. We will provide effective learning opportunities for all children based on their individual needs.

Children have Special Educational Needs if they have a learning difficulty which calls for special educational provision to be made for them above their peers.

Our SEND policy details how we aim to ensure that necessary provision is made for any pupil who has SEND and those needs are made known to all staff who work with them (available from the school office).

Mrs Wake is our SENCO. She is available to answer any questions you may have and you can contact her via email at [email protected], via phone on 01709 892044, or can arrange an appointment with her via the school office.

Our SEND policies are on our school policies page.

If you are not happy with the provision made for your child, please contact the school office to arrange a meeting with the class teacher or SENCO and explain your concerns to them first.  If you are not satisfied that your complaint has been addressed, please ask to speak to the Head Teacher.  If you do not feel that the issues have been resolved, please follow our formal complaints procedure as outlined in the Complaints Procedure policy.

SEN Support

If a child is identified who is not making adequate progress they will be placed on our SEN register as a child who receives SEN support. Parents will be invited in to school to discuss what intervention will be put in place to ensure your child makes adequate progress. This may include:

  • Different learning materials
  • Some group or individual support
  • Planned interventions

Sometimes we may request additional guidance from outside agencies, such as the educational psychologist, Speech and Language Therapists or Inclusion Services. They will provide specialist advice and assessment to school and parents. This will be fed into the child’s Individual Education Plan which will be reviewed termly.

Education, Health and Care Plan

The local authority may decide that the degree of the pupil’s learning difficulty and the nature of the provision necessary to meet the child’s special educational needs is such as to require an Education, Health and Care Plan.

All children with an EHCP will have set for them short-term targets which have been established with the child and parents. These targets will be set out in the IEP. EHCPs will be reviewed at least annually with parents, pupils, the Local Authority and any other agencies involved. Follow this link for more information!


All children with SEN will have access to specialist resources when necessary. This includes teaching assistant time and specialist materials.

Click the BMBC Logo below to go direct to the Barnsley Local Offer page